Part of the term paper assignment involves students developing your own research topics. The proposal process is intended to help you develop a viable and interesting topic. But, with this freedom comes responsibility; you have to be thinking about the term paper topic early on. Term Paper proposals should be approximately 1000 words long (excluding bibliographic information).
Your proposal should clearly identify the following:
- Questions you are seeking to address/answer in your research.
- Thesis of your research paper. That is, what is the main argument/claim you will be making?
- A brief description of your strategy in answering your research question and/or supporting your thesis.
- A description of potential pitfalls you may face along the way (e.g. being convinced of an outcome prior to actually researching a topic, being sidetracked and unable to keep your topic to a manageable length or size, etc.).
- A description of what you think would count as success in your project.
Each proposal should also include an annotated bibliography of at least 5 sources that will be used in your research.