Watch the TED Talk by Karen Thompson Walker entitled “What Fear Can Teach Us.” and answer the below questions.
- What is the speaker’s main argument? Or what is her thesis?
- Name at least 3 specific examples/pieces of evidence she uses to support her argument?
- What was the biggest takeaway that you had from this video? What interested you the most?
- What kind of evidence/stories is Walker telling her audience in the speech?
- How does Walker organize her speech? In connection with Question 4, when does this evidence show up in her speech? When does she give that evidence? Is the placement of the evidence successful? Is there any pattern you can discern or figure out from where she places those pieces of specific evidence?
- What is Walker’s purpose? What does she want from his audience?
- What is Walker’s tone? Is her tone successful in connecting with her audience?
- What examples of ethos, pathos, or logos does Walker use in her speech? Are they effective or not?