Notice that the beginning questions are the same as for Amistad because I believe they are relevant for Glory too.
1. What is the Central message of this film?
2. Consider the effectiveness of the film in communicating its message. What are its strengths and weaknesses?
3. How do you think the filmmakers wanted the audience to respond?
4. Does the film appeal to reason or emotion? How does it make you feel?
5. Who directed this film?
6. Who are the main characters and what are their roles?
7. Through whose eyes is the story told?
8. Give a brief history of the 54th regiment.
9. What was the thinking about black soldiers during the Civil War?
10. Describe Col. Shaw. (His character, discipline, everything)
11. What are some of the goofs, if any, from the movie?
12. Who were Shawâ€™s parents and why are they relevant to the story?
13. Does the film make you care about Shaw and his men?
14. Describe the last scene and the outcome. Would you say they were heroes or fools?
After you have answered the questions write a two page reflection paper for each. Your answers to the questions do not count as your two page review. Your reflection paper should be about how you viewed the movie in relation to what you are learning in this class. Points to consider: Were there things that you did not know that you learned by watching the movie? How did the movie help you visualize the time period? What did you find interesting? What did you have problems with? Be specific as to what things you did and did not like and give examples.
- Your 2 page reflection should be double spaced in 12 point font in Times New Roman. It should have no headings, normal margins, normal paragraph lengths (4 to 8 sentences), no double spaces between paragraphs (spacing twice), and should go from the top of the first page to the bottom of the second page. Your answers to the questions do not count towards your page length of the reflection. It should both be submitted as one file (answers and two page reflection). There is not a time limit when you access the assignment. Take your time and make sure it is done right. This will aid in offsetting poor quiz and test grades. If you have any questions, please email me.
- The assignment will be completed through turnitin.com to check for plagiarism.