In the land of free trade, the public does not view all industries as
equal. Do you believe that is ethical? Do you believe that some
industries are unfairly targeted? Should it be consumers’ choice to
partake in products that are not healthy for them, or do those companies
have an ethical obligation to protect people? In this assignment, you
will choose one (1) industry to write about. Possible
industries to research could be tobacco, soda, alcohol, casinos, or
candy companies, just to name a few.
Write a one and a half to two (1½ – 2) page paper in which you:
- Become an advocate for either the consumer or the industry. Prepare
an argument explaining the major reasons why you support either the
consumer or the industry.
- Explain the role capitalism plays in corporate decision making.
- Discuss if you believe it is possible for a company to cater to both
its best interest and that of the consumer conjointly or if one always
has to prevail. Justify your response.
- Use at least two (2) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, your
name, your professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover
page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA
format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Determine the considerations for and process of ethical business
decision making to balance corporate and social responsibilities, and
address moral, economic, and legal concerns.
- Analyze selected business situations using the predominant ethical
theories, such as utilitarian, Kantian, and virtue ethics to guide
ethical business decision making.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business ethics.
- Write clearly and concisely about business ethics using proper writing mechanics.