you will be writing a thematic analysis paper..
Your paper will compare and contrast Macbeth and Le Morte dâ€™Arthur
.This means that first you will need to choose a theme from Macbeth(knowledge, ambition, etc.), and then compare it to a similar theme of Le Morte dâ€™Arthur
The focus of your paper should be on how this theme is developed throughout each story. You should show how the writer uses the plot, characters, sequencing, or other techniques to create a conclusion about this theme. (For example, “Shakespeare uses the genre of tragedy to show us how ambition can lead to an ultimate downfall.”) Then, deepen the conversation by adding a comparison and contrast to Le Morte dâ€™Arthur
Use a minimum of six passages (quotes) from the stories throughout your paper (at least one per story, per body paragraph).
his essay should be between two and five pages (500-1250 words) in length. Your final draft should be saved and submitted as .doc or .pdf file. It should be in 12-point font in Times New Roman.
Focus on these points:
- What assertion does the story make about the theme? (Ambition is dangerous. Femininity does not mean weakness or frailty.)
- What techniques does the writer use to create this assertion? (Characters, plot, genre, literary devices, etc.)
- What similarities are there between the themes in the two stories? (Both Macbeth and Beowulf are prime examples of masculinity.)
- What significant differences are there between the themes in the two stories? (Macbeth ultimately destroys his community, his loved ones, and himself; Beowulf uses his strength to save people from a terrible monster.)
- What can we learn about this theme from the comparison and contrast of these two stories? (While we see ambition, strength, and cruelty as essential parts of masculinity in these two stories, it is in the selfishness of the individual that danger lies.)