11) What is the d orbital-filling diagram for Fe3+ (Z = 26)?
12) How many valence electrons does the element Co have?
13) What two transition elements have the highest electrical conductivity of any elements at room temperature?
A) copper and iron
B) copper and silver
C) iron and chromium
D) silver and gold
14) Which first row transition element has the highest melting point?
15) Which transition element has the highest melting point?
16) Which of the following elements has the highest density?
17) For transition elements, which of the following occurs as the effective nuclear charge increases?
A) The atomic radius increases.
B) The density increases.
C) Both the atomic radius and the density increase.
D) The atomic radius decreases and the density increases.
18) Though we would expect an increase in atomic radii going down a group from the second to the third transition series of elements, the actual radii are nearly identical. The term commonly used to describe this phenomenon is the
A) atomic disparity.
B) effective nuclear charge.
C) lanthanide contraction.
D) transition default.
19) Which of the following transition elements (Sc, Ti, V, Mn, and Cu) have positive oxidation potentials?
C) Sc, Ti, and V
D) Sc, Ti, V, and Mn
20) Which transition element is difficult to oxidize with hydronium ion?