To understand contemporary policing in America, it is essential to understand
the history by looking at the past eras. The police have day-to-day practices
influenced by deeply ingrained traditions. It’s also necessary to comprehend
how an officer’s career begins, from the academy to the street. The effective
partnership between the police and the community must also be understood to
better appreciate the development and functions of police.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Compare and contrast the major characteristics of the political and reform
eras of policing.
- Identify the skills and knowledge that are imparted to police trainees
during their academy training and explain the importance of these skills in
relation to real world applications.
- Provide your own definition of community-policing and explain the difference
between community policing and traditional policing.
- Critically examine the important elements of implementation and evaluation
phases of community policing and problem solving.
- Determine the top five (5) qualities that detectives and undercover officers
need to possess (one  being the most important). Provide a rationale for your
- Use at least four (4) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites
do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page