Personality & athlete
Def. of personality
Social learning theory–Bandura
(Trait theory)—traits, dispositions
Measurement of personality
Projective tests (Rorschach, TAT)
Relationship between personality and sport performance:
–Athletes versus nonathletes
Schurr et al. (1977)
Personality and sport choice
Elite rock climbers
Developmental effects of athletic partic. on pers.
Personality sport type
Body builders (1940s, 1950s versus Thirer & Greer–1981)
Personality & player position
Personality profiles of athletes differing in skill level
Is there a difference?
Athletic female—similar to…
• Explain the Personality & athlete
• Define personality and describe the theories of sport psychology; Social learning theory (Bandura); Trait theory—traits, dispositions
• Discuss the types of measurements of personality: Rating scales, Projective tests (Rorschach, TAT), Questionnaires (MMPI)
• Identify the relationship between personality and sport performance: Athletes versus nonathletes- Schurr et al. (1977), Cooper (1969), and Morgan (1980b)
• Explain the comparison between personality and sport choice: professional cowboys, and Elite rock climbers
• Discuss the developmental effects of athletic partic on personality and define the gravitational hypothesis
• Classify personality on sport type as far as body builders (1940s, 1950s versus Thirer & Greer–1981), baseball, tennis, and superadherers
• Explain personality & player position: Volleyball positions and Football positions and describe personality profiles of athletes differing in skill level; is there really a difference?
• Discuss female athletes; athletic female—similar to… and define and identify the interactional model (figure 2.3)
NOTE: “Completing the outline, reading the textbook, reviewing the Power point, and completing the written assignment
will allow you to meet the above learning objectives.” (K. Kardiasmenos, personal communication)
Table of Contents
You read in chapter two about many different research studies regarding the relationship between personality and sport. Some of the research talked about athletes versus nonathletes, while other research described personality factors that relate to certain sports, or to different levels of sports, or even to different positions played within one sport. Choose the research findings about any one of these that you found especially interesting. Thinking back over your life, please write a one-page, double-spaced essay explaining your views about these research results. Do you agree or disagree with them? Do they seem consistent with what you have experienced and seen in your life? Please support your answers by giving examples from your experience.
Please be sure to answer these questions IN YOUR OWN WORDS, limit your answer to one double-spaced page, and edit your work carefully. Save your work in Microsoft Word before submitting it. This assignment is worth 2.5% of your overall course grade.