Week 1 Discussion
Envisioning Yourself as an Advocate for Nurses and Health Policy
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial postings. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Cite sources in your responses to other classmates. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
And, so we begin a very fast-paced and packed course on policy, politics, and nursing. Each of us has his or her own experiences and interest in advocacy. You may want to start your journey by reading Savage’s piece from your course textbook. Her chapter captures her journey and may serve as a primer for your experience these next few weeks. This week’s readings and assignments will help you to picture yourself moving in a direction to developing/honing/refining your advocacy skills.
Answer one of the following questions:
- From the chapter â€œThe Changing United States Health Care Systemâ€ in your course textbook, using either the story of Wald’s efforts to improve the health status of impoverished immigrant communities or the story of how advanced practice registered nurses have struggled with their legitimacy within the health care delivery system, compare your own experience in nursing.
- Have there been challenges you have faced? If so, what strategies did you employ to overcome these challenges?
- How do you envision your career moving forward in advocating for your patients? Your community? Yourself?
- From your daily briefs, Kaiser Health News Morning Briefing or POLITICO Pulse.
- List the interest groups that are mentioned in the brief and what their interest is in the piece.
- Categorize the issues in the brief according to the followingâ€”politics and politicians, access to health care, health care insurance, health care legislation, money, drugs, or other.