One area of the law essential to understand is the concept of lesser included offenses. In this discussion, address the following prompts:
- Define the criminal justice legal term of lesser included offense.
- Assess how courts determine whether a crime is a lesser included offense.
- Explain whether someone can be convicted for multiple crimes for one act.
- Evaluate how lesser included offenses do not violate the double jeopardy clause of the 5th Amendment.
- Examine the material elements of crimes and how they can vary to allow for multiple prosecutions for the same acts or similar offenses. Provide specific examples to support your answer.
Guided Response: Your initial post must be at least 300 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required materials and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references.