Thelma, a 16 year old girl, suspected that her father had a drug problem but never knew it for certain. One day, she found out from some friends at school that her father used to buy crack cocaine from a known dealer. She agonized for over a week about whether she should tell her mother. She eventually did. Her mother asked Thelmaâ€™s father to leave the house and filed for a divorce. Thelma felt that the breakup of the family was her fault.
Read the article on http://www.aaets.org/article230.htm that discusses behavioral, medical, educational, and emotional consequences of family dysfunction and substance abuse.
Read the following article http://www.cigna.com/healthwellness/hw/medical-topics/teen-alcohol-and-drug-abuse-tp17749 on Teen Alcohol and Drug Abuse, paying particular attention to the Why Some Teens Abuse Alcohol and Drugs and Prevention Strategies sections.
Answer the following:
- Did Thelma do the right thing by revealing her knowledge of her fatherâ€™s drug use to her mother? Explain why.
- What behavioral and emotional consequences might Thelma experience as a result of her situation?
- What risk factors for teen substance abuse are present in Thelmaâ€™s life?
- What practical action would you recommend for Thelma to fight against the guilt and anger she feels about the situation with her father?
- What practical action would you recommend for Thelmaâ€™s mother to reduce Thelmaâ€™s risk for substance abuse?