Q1. You are an OD practitioner that has been called on to help in the merging of two financial organizations (both international organizations). One organization is primarily in the property and casualty business but has also recently purchased an HMO organization focused on healthcare and insurance. The other organization is a large provider of life insurance, pension insurance, and other financial investment businesses. The first company mentioned has an entrepreneurial culture. The second company is very process driven and approaches work in a very team-based manner. Your job is to assist leadership in facilitating an effective merger so that the overall organization can quickly return to profitability and be perceived by shareholders as an effective combination of talent and business units.
- How would you diagnose what is needed?
- What suggestions might you make to have competing cultures merge into one that works together effectively?
- What types of information might you collect and what tools might you use to effectively diagnose what is needed?
- What type of suggestions would you suggest to the new leadership to effectively manage change?
- What type of human resource or process interventions might be required to handle resistance to change?
Q2. You have been asked by leadership to use your OD expertise in creating an employee involvement culture globally for a company that has traditionally been a very hierarchical, top-down based organization that has only minimally used employee suggestions.
- What type of interventions might you suggest and why?
- What would you suggest to management for strategies, tools or techniques to measure the success of this endeavor?
Q3. You have been assigned as a coach to support a project leader of a new Lean Six Sigma team. The leader has been given some challenging goals which include a 33% increase in patient satisfaction and a similar decrease in operating expenses associated with patient care. What techniques would you suggest the leader use at the start, middle, and end of this six month project to ensure effective results and an ongoing team consisting of members that are on this team on a part time basis?