This week’s Milestone asks you to select one more popular culture artifact. Refer to your Final Project Worksheet and Final Project Overview documents from Week1. Remember that there should be no more than two artifacts from the same category with three overall.
The categories are:
- Episodic moving image (TV shows—may be broadcast or streamed)
- Music videos
- Animation (general animation/cartoons such as Disney or Warner Brothers or genre-specific animation such as Japanese anime)
- Printed material (books, magazines, manga, comic books, or graphic novels)
- Choose a new popular culture artifact, your third, to include in your Final Project analysis. This element should be current (within the last 5 years) and relate to the issue you have chosen. Chosen issue is Violence
- Consider how this new popular culture artifact defines or disrupts “normal.”
Submit a 700- to 800-word essay that analyzes how your chosen artifact of popular culture relates to society’s values. Explain how this new popular culture artifact defines or disrupts “normal.” Evaluate whether this artifact of popular culture has changed society’s values. Be sure to include:
- At least one reference to a news site.
- At least two other academically relevant sources. The Course Readings List, found in the Syllabus of the course navigation menu, will be helpful, as will the required and optional resources listed here. Be sure to refer to the student-contributed resources in Doc Sharing.
The following websites may be helpful throughout this course by demonstrating ways of analyzing pop culture texts as artifacts.
TED2010. (2010, March 17). Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 20 minutes.
This talk presents compelling evidence on how popular culture in the form of gaming could be harnessed to solve real world problems.
Guins, R. (Ed.). (2014). Themed issue: Marshall McLuhan’s
Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man @ 50.
Journal of Visual Culture,
PLEASE PROVIDE THOROUGH DETAILED WORK FOLLWOING THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED ABOVE. ALL THE PREVIOUS WEEKS WORK IS ATTACHED BELOW. THE CHOSEN ISSUE IS VIOLENCE. ANIMATION AND FILM ARE THE TWO ARTIFACTS ALREADY UTILIZED. A DIFFERENT ONE WILL BE NEEDED FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. PLEASE REFER TO THE SOURCES PROVIDED AND THE WORK ATTACHED. THANK YOU.