Classical and Operant Conditioning:
1) State what kind of conditioning is depicted in each of the scenarios below
2) create three examples from your own life learning that you can possibly attribute to Classical or Operant Conditioning :
1. Every time someone flushes a toilet in the apartment building, the shower becomes very hot and causes the person to jump back. Over time, the person begins to jump back automatically after hearing the flush, before the water temperature changes. ________________________________________
2. Your father gives you a credit card at the end of your first year in college because you did so well. As a result, your grades continue to get better in your second year. ________________________________________
3. Your car has a red, flashing light that blinks annoyingly if you start the car without buckling the seat belt. You become less likely to start the car without buckling the seat belt. ________________________________________
4. You eat a new food and then get sick because of the flu. However, you develop a dislike for the food and feel nauseated whenever you smell it. ________________________________________
5. An individual receives frequent injections of drugs, which are administered in a small examination room at a clinic. The drug itself causes increased heart rate but after several trips to the clinic, simply being in a small room causes an increased heart rate. ________________________________________
6. A lion in a circus learns to stand up on a chair and jump through a hoop to receive a food treat.
7. A professor has a policy of exempting students from the final exam if they maintain perfect attendance during the quarter. His students’ attendance increases dramatically. ________________________________________
8. You check the coin return slot on a pay telephone and find a quarter. You find yourself checking other telephones over the next few days. ________________________________________
9. Your hands are cold so you put your gloves on. In the future, you are more likely to put gloves on when it’s cold. ________________________________________
10. John Watson conducted an experiment with a boy named Albert in which he paired a white rat with a loud, startling noise. Albert now becomes startled at the sight of the white rat.