There are a multitude of views and opinions regarding divinity and its
attributes. Many people are fascinated by Buddhism and what it has to
say about desire, moderation and social engagement. This week you will
look at some of the beliefs and practices of followers of this religion.
A world view is a
fundamental or basic orientation of thinking – like a mindset – which
guides a culture and / or a person’s life. Like a point of view, it can
be built of concepts, ideas, values, emotions, and ethics.
“Weltanschauung” is the German word for this idea. Your goal for this
course is to understand the world views of these various religions. In
order to prepare you for your final assignment, you will outline the
world views of various religions in the chart below, adding to it each
For this assignment,
students will complete the weekly area of the chart, filling in the
aspects of each religion as it is presented in the readings and
resources. This chart, when complete, will be the starting point for the
written assignment, due in Week 10.
For each weekly submission:
- Review the weekly lectures
and supplemental materials provided, then complete the chart by
elaborating on each section related to the weekly content.
- Identify key details and examples from the weekly resources to serve as a basis for the content being recorded in your chart.
- Write clearly and coherently using correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and mechanics.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze what is meant by religion.
- Analyze the similarities
and differences in the primary beliefs held by major religious
traditions and the cultures in which these religions evolved.
- Describe the varieties of religious experience and practice in a wide range of cultures.
- Recognize how daily life within various religions and current affairs are influenced by religion.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in religion.
- Write clearly and concisely about world religions using proper writing mechanics.