Week 1 Discussion
Part 1: Post a Response
During the Reconstruction Era, the Southern states created many laws and policies of their own. These â€œBlack Codesâ€ either tried to minimize federal laws and policies or were in retaliation to them.
Suppose you were a former slave during this era, which one of the following restrictions would you find the most offensive?
- Restrictions or prohibitions on voting
- Restrictions such as those on job, land purchase, and mobility
- Inability to serve on juries or accuse a white person in court
Then, in a full paragraph or two:
- Discuss the immediate and long-term consequences from your chosen restriction.
- Identify any lessons we can learn today from this restriction and its impact.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about the restriction.
Part 2: Respond to a Peer
Read a post by one of your peers and respond, making sure to extend the conversation by asking questions, offering rich ideas, or sharing personal connections.
Week 1 Learn materials: Mississippi example of â€œBlack Codesâ€
Chapter 16 (p. 294-5)
An Example: Black Codes in Mississippi: http://web.mit.edu/21h.102/www/Primary%20source%20collections/Reconstruction/Black%20codes.htm
For guidance, view the following video: