As noted in the textbook, “Of the leading causes of death listed in Table 1-1, four are directly related to nutrition, and another – motor vehicle and other accidents – is related to drinking alcohol” (Sizer and Whitney, 2013). Expanding on the information from the quote above, please provide a comprehensive response to the following statements:
- Explain why nutrition is important and how it impacts physical and mental health.
- Differentiate the six classes of nutrients and explain how they individually and collectively help us to maintain our health status.
- Describe the five characteristics of a healthy diet and provide a dietary example for each.
- Explain how nutrition is a science and how the scientific method is used in this field.
- Summarize the four different types of studies (case, epidemiological, intervention, and laboratory studies) and explain the use of research in the development of dietary guidelines.
- Briefly define and provide a diet-related example for each of the stages of behavior change.
- Explain the role of competence, confidence, and motivation in behavior change.
This assignment must be a minimum of three pages in length (excluding title and references pages) in APA format as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Use subheadings to help organize your paper. Include a minimum of two scholarly resources, cited according to APA style. At least one of your resources must be from the Ashford University Library.