Cold War – choose ONE of these two questions to respond to using the textbook, any primary sources we looked at in class, and the Crash Course video about capitalism and socialism. Be sure to use specific examples.
1. Explain how the Cold War escalated during the early years, beginning in 1946 and up through the events we discussed in class.
2. Identify and explain the ideological differences between the United States and Russia that contributed to the Cold War.
Civil Rights – choose ONE of these two questions to respond to using the textbook and any videos or pictures we looked at in class. Be sure to use specific examples.
1. What is the Long Civil Rights Movement, and why do we look beyond the 1950s and 1960s to study civil rights?
2. How did change happen in the Civil Rights Movement?
Essays – Choose ONE of the following topics to write a five-paragraph essay about, including an introduction, thesis, body paragraphs, and conclusion. Be sure to use specific examples.
1. Vietnam – What is the legacy of the Vietnam War for our country?
2. Monographs – Using the two monographs we looked at in class this semester, discuss the lessons learned from the Johnstown Flood and Agent Orange. Did the books identify similar lessons or different ones? You can discuss things learned by the authors, the government, the scientists, the lay people, or modern citizens, but you should focus on one per paragraph.
3. Looking Back – We looked at many examples this semester of clashes between state authority and federal authority – identify three of these examples and explain what they show about the balance of power in our country.