Learning â€©toâ€© Readâ€© and â€©Write by Frederick â€©Douglass
Compare and contrast
The operative word in the instructions is â€œcompare.â€ Compare your own experience with Douglassâ€™ experience.
(I am International Student)
PAR.1 – INTRODUCTION
Writing about Douglassâ€™ experience.
- In your own words, restate the main ideas of the essay. Focus on the ideas or issues you plan to respond to. As part of your summary, quote or paraphrase the ideas that you will be responding to.
- Include Rethorical Situation
PAR 2 – Body
Respond to the authorâ€™s ideas from your summary paragraph by showing how your own experience relates to those ideas, highlighting similarities or differences. Be specific about what aspect of the authorâ€™s thinking you are discussing, perhaps giving the authorâ€™s exact words.
- Use an example or a detailed narrative segment to show your experience.
PAR 3 – Final/Conclusion of ideas
you must cite a passage
- integrate Douglassâ€™ words or ideas with
- USE AT MINIMUM ONE QUOTATION AND DOCUMENT IT
quotation, paraphrase or summary (WR 24d)
use signal phrases
Douglass characterizes literacy â€¦
Douglas describes his ownerâ€™s lessonsâ€¦
AVOID â€œtalks aboutâ€ as a signal verb